In May I had pain in my lower left jaw and teeth-mostly in the middle to left front. I went to my dentist who isolated the tooth in question(#24?)by tapping on the teeth. After an xray showed no sign of an abcess, she proceded to do a root canal which went fine. I saw the xray and it looked identical to the next tooth in which I had had a root canal about 10 years earlier. She managed to complete the process in 1 sitting. It was sensitive for a few days- which I expected. I went out of town and realized that this tooth was still very sensitive-not to cold or hot but when I touched it on the top or sides and it "sings".I went back twice and both times the xrays looked better than before. She filed it down as she thought that my grinding and clenching was disturbing it so I got a mouth guard-this didn't seem to help.Thus she felt it could be the dental ligament? and it takes quite a while to heal. It's almost September and I don't feel any relief. Please help! Thank you for your time!

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 29 - August - 2011, at 02:38 AM

• The sensitivity can be due to gum infection in that area.  In few cases when the infection is more, then it may take sometimes 3 months to heal completely.  If it is because of gum infection, then you need to maintain a good oral hygiene for this. Brush and floss regularly. Doing warm saline rinses 3-4 times a day may provide some relief.  Dental cleaning may be required in case of gum infection. You can take an opinion of second dentist in this regard if you want.  Infection left in the tooth can also cause sensitivity.  If there is infection present in the tooth, then re-root canal procedure is done. Without clinical examination, it is difficult to give an exact diagnosis. For more info on care and complications after the root canal treatment, you can refer to the following article… http://www.identalhub.com/article_complications-and-care-after-root-canal-therapy-106.aspx

Free Dental Consultation