I have noticed recently that my gum seems to be covering my third molar and this is causing a lot of discomfort as i end up chewing my inner cheek. Is this a serious problem? What are the possible causes/treatments ?

Leave Comment

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 22 - September - 2011, at 04:15 AM

• If your wisdom tooth that is the third molar is covered by gums and is causing extreme pain and discomfort, then you can get your wisdom tooth extracted. Wisdom teeth don’t aid in mastication and are more susceptible to decay and infections, so no treatment is done to save the wisdom tooth. It is difficult to keep the wisdom tooth clean as it is the last tooth and it is difficult to clean till the wisdom tooth.  You can refer to an oral surgeon for getting wisdom tooth extracted. Oral surgeon will take an x-ray and will remove the wisdom tooth which is causing the problem. By that time, you can do warm saline rinses to reduce the gum swelling which is present there.  Keep the wisdom tooth area clean by maintaining good oral hygiene. Deposits or food accumulates in that area will aggravate the pain. For more info on wisdom teeth, you can refer to following article…     http://www.identalhub.com/dental-knowing-all-about-wisdom-teeth-719.aspx

Free Dental Consultation