I had a root canal done about 8 weeks ago. The tooth was broken very far down and the dentist wasn't sure he could do the root canal. He referred me to an endo who said the tooth was savable. I like my dentist very much and begged him to do the root canal instead if the endo. He did the root canal and said that it couldn't have gone better. He said in no uncertain terms that he cleaned the tooth extensively and it would be sore for a while. I had the crown put I without issue, however it is still sensitive and painful sometimes (mostly from chewing on it) Nothing bad just occasional minor pain. I went back about a month ago for a cleaning and told him about the pain. He took x-rays and said everything looks excellent. Ive heard that it can take a while for the pain to completely subside. Any advice for me?

Leave Comment

Comments

• dr ritz

dr ritz 23 - September - 2011, at 01:02 AM

• Samir, There should be no sensitivity in root canal treated tooth with crown after 6 years. It could be because of infection in the root canal treated tooth or can be because of gum infection in relation to that tooth. You have to use Interdental brush in area of capping. Maintain good oral hygiene to avoid any gum infections. If the sensitivity persists, then you can refer to your dentist for this. If there is infection still left in the tooth, then root canal re-treatment may be required for the tooth.

• Samir Yadav

Samir Yadav 22 - September - 2011, at 07:46 AM

• hi, i got my RCT done 6 years back.(in 3 teeth). they were then covered by porcelain caps. but few days back,there is sensitivity in 2 of them. when i eat something cool,like ice cream,there is pain in them.what should i do?

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 13 - June - 2011, at 19:15 PM

• After Root Canal treatment the tooth takes some time to settle down and so to have pain is normal. This will settle down in next 2-3 days and till then avoid eating from that side and if pain is there you can ask your Gyne and take pain killers which are permissible in pregnany and are not harmful for child.

• Smriti

Smriti 12 - June - 2011, at 22:36 PM

• Hi I got my RCT done two days back and now I m feeling little bit of pain in the same tooth.I took pain killer and was ok. I am pregnant and worried if taking pain killers or anitbiotics effect my baby?

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 19 - May - 2011, at 07:49 AM

• Yes if you donot want to go for Root Canal Treatment then you have the option of get it pulled out. Sometimes when the tooth is infected and you are put on antibiotics course for 3 or 5 days, then the infected is temporary gone for few days or months or may be even a year. So check out with dentist to decide the treatment plan. It depends a lot on Xray and extent of infection.

Free Dental Consultation