I had my wisdom teeth taken out January 10, 2012. Now I feel a hard piece of something and its covered in my gum, and I also have a sharp piece on the same side next to it and sometimes when food gets stuck I use my tongue to get it out and the piece cuts me, so I went to the same oral surgeon today and he said that it's just my gum and not bone or a piece of tooth. Is your gums really that hard and can it cut your tongue, please help he made me seem like I was crazy.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 25 - January - 2012, at 23:53 PM

• During healing process of tooth extraction socket, small fragments of bone which are called as sequestra come to the surface of tooth extraction site. Bone expands to the point that causes disruption in blood supply to the bone and causes death of bone shards and they come out as splinters. These small bone fragments are more common in case of difficult or surgical tooth extraction. They are quite common and can cause some discomfort and pain to the patient. These shards of bone are sharp and must be causing you irritation. You will be able to remove these small splinters on your own. They will be fine in some time. Gums can't cut the tongue.  You can continue with warm saline rinses for faster healing of tooth extraction socket. For more info on complications after tooth extraction, refer to…..    http://www.identalhub.com/dental-complications-after-tooth-extraction-881.aspx

Free Dental Consultation