i have had braces for nearly 3 years and a couple weeks ago i notice what seemed to be a white spot. the spot comes just above the bracket and i was wondering if there is anything i can do to reduce the appearance while i still have braces? and how can you tell if it is a shallow stain or not? can whiting systems help remove it? is it okay to use whiting toothpaste and mouthwash while you have braces?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 30 - November - 2011, at 01:36 AM

• White spots occur with braces treatment because of plaque accumulating on teeth around braces and can occur if the oral hygiene of the patient is not adequate. It occurs because of demineralization of enamel. With braces treatment, it becomes even more important to maintain good oral hygiene. Brush and floss regularly and also use a mouth wash to reduce bacteria present in the mouth. You can use a fluoride mouth rinse to remineralize the tooth structure.  Avoid eating too sticky and acidic foods and follow the instructions of your orthodontist. Drink plenty of water to dislodge food particles. Don’t use whitening strips with braces treatment. If these spots are present even after braces removal, then dental cleaning can be done followed by professional teeth whitening a month after braces removal.  For more info on keeping mouth clean with braces, refer to…..   http://www.identalhub.com/dental-how-to-keep-mouth-clean-with-braces-618.aspx

Free Dental Consultation