I chipped a tooth last week when biting into a mint then over the weekend I was chewing food on the same side and cracked or broke some of the tooth off. So, to protect that area and because I am a bit scared that I would do further harm, I began eating on the left side. I am in no pain on the right side where the tooth is broke, but my gums on the left side are now sore and a bit achy from eating on that side. I think it is that I rarely eat on the left side or could be more serious. I did put some ambisol on the area in question and taking some oral meds like Advil to help. I have a dentist appointment on Friday to evaluate. Plus, to my shame, I have not been to a dentist in 10 years, mainly due to no dental insurance and no major problems. Just wondering what else can be done.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 26 - July - 2011, at 11:14 AM

• Even if you donot have pain in the tooth which is chipped and later cracked due to chewing, it is advisable to go for dental crown on that tooth after getting root canal treatment done in that. If you go for restoration, it won't stay and if you go for crown without getting root canal treatment, it wil get infected and lateron you will have to get root canal treatment and in that case root canal treatment can be done after removing the crown and it is quite traumatic and expensive and the crown will sectioned for removal. Regarding pain on left side on chewing, you are right it may be because you are not used to chewing from left side and moreosoever as you have not visited dentist for the last 10 years, so may be your oral hygiene is poor with poor unhealthy gums. You have also scheduled an appointment with dentist and then go for all the treatment suggested by him including cleaning of teeth. For more info on chipped tooth you can read this article.... http://www.identalhub.com/dental-how-chipped-tooth--is--fixed-by-dentist-790.aspx

Free Dental Consultation