I had a root canal 8 years or so ago. I have always had the issue with bleeding and smelling bad when flossing around the crown. The past year I noticed that I can fell the pressure around the crown when I haven't recently flossed. I can even smell the foul smell from it. Why would this be and is this something I should be concerned about?

Leave Comment

Comments

• sequinn

sequinn 05 - December - 2011, at 11:30 AM

• I have 2 crowns and had the same problem. I think this is very common. After about a year I finally figured out how to keep the smell from being there. The smell is food or blood from gum bleeding, This is what you will need. 1. Buy some whitening mouthwash (because it has peroxide in it) 2. Buy some tiny dental brushes that go between the teeth. (small ones are better unless you have a big gap) 3. Dental floss 4. Soft toothbrush 5. Whitening toothpaste. 6. Antiseptic rinse. Swish the whitening rinse with the peroxide first for about a minute. Use the small brushes to go back and forth between the teeth at the crown area gently. It may bleed a little at first. If it does then don't do it the next day. But eventually after you get it cleaned real good you can do it every day. If you ever see blood there then lay off for a day or two to let it heal. Then floss all your teeth. Brush. If you have bleeding then rinse well with the antiseptic. Do not use the antiseptic every day because it can dry your mouth and make smell worse. If you do this every day, twice a day the smell should eventually go away. This works for me. You will still ocasionally get an odor, but just use one of those little brushes and you can get it out. GOOD LUCK !

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 24 - March - 2011, at 20:02 PM

• This problem of foul smell and bleeding is there when the fitting of crown around tooth is not very good and food get lodged there or when the gums are constantly irritated by the ill fitting crown. You should not take it lightly as it can cause the gum problem and bone resorption can be there, which can cause the mobility of the tooth. Sometimes due to this constant infection, Root Canal failure can also occur. The treatment for this is to get the crown replaced by new crown with better fitting. So schedule an appointment with dentist and get it clinically checked and get new crown. If you have insurance, the it will be covered by insurance. For more info on problems after crowns you can read this article.... www.identalhub.com/article_problems-after-crown-placement-272.aspx

Free Dental Consultation