Hi, It has been around thirty six hours since the extraction of my wisdom tooth and I haven't smoked as yet. Would it be advisable to smoke now or do I have to wait for some more time? Thanks!

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 20 - January - 2012, at 02:15 AM

• Smoking after tooth extraction can lead to dislodgement of blood clot and can lead to a very painful condition called as dry socket. Smoking also causes delayed healing as it decreases the blood supply to the area. It is advised not to smoke till the time extraction socket wound heals. If it was a simple extraction, then healing of extraction socket will occur in 10-14 days and if it was a surgical or complicated tooth extraction, then healing of extraction socket may take weeks to months depending on amount of trauma to the supporting tissues. To avoid any complications, follow the instructions of your dentist and take the meds as prescribed. For faster healing of extraction socket to take place, you can do warm saline rinses 3-4 times a day. For more info on tooth extraction aftercare, refer to……   http://www.identalhub.com/article_do%27s-and-don%27ts-after-tooth-extraction-153.aspx

Free Dental Consultation