i have a good tooth in my front upper jaw (central incisor 1) but its twisted and is overlapping upon its next one (another central incisor. Now thats making my smile look bad. I have seen a dentist and he, after examining x-rays, told theres no space between my teeth and brace are not an option for me. then he suggested me a solution that is he will grind the tooth and root canal and then put on a crown. is it ok?? is what the doctor saying right? after coming back home i got a question that is why do i need a root canal? Cant i simply grind and wear the crown? is this the right solution that he suggested.. is there any new technology in the developed world?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 29 - August - 2011, at 02:00 AM

• Your dentist is right. Apart from using braces for alignment of the teeth, cosmetic procedures can also be used. Root canal procedure is done before giving the crown so that there is no pain in the tooth later on. In the root canal procedure, the blood supply to the tooth is cut so that there is no pain afterwards. After giving the crown, tooth decay can occur if not root canal treated and can cause pain later so root canal procedure is done before capping so that there is no complications later on.  That is why the dentist prefers doing the root canal procedure before giving the cap. Veneers can also be given if the malalignment is small and less of tooth structure is to be removed. If more of tooth structure is to be removed, then crowns are given. Porcelain crowns are given for the front teeth which are very esthetic. If the patient has money constrains, then porcelain fused to metal crowns can also be given which are also tooth colored but not as esthetic as porcelain crowns. Cosmetic procedures are in a way better than the braces treatment as they take lesser of time to correct the alignment. For more info on when is dental crown needed, you can refer to the following article… http://www.identalhub.com/article_when-is-a-dental-crown-needed-267.aspx

Free Dental Consultation