Hello, I had my 2 bottom wisdom teeth removed on 9-28-11 and on my right side, my lip and chin are still numb. I went back to my OS and he said it wasn't abnormal for it to still be that way. He wants me to come back in a month to check it. I was wondering if there was something I could do in the meantime to help it like massage, hot or cold compresses or would that just be a waste of time. This feeling is driving me crazy literally. I am having trouble sleeping ... Any info you could give would be appreciated!! Thanks

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 20 - October - 2011, at 00:40 AM

• Numbness on right side of lip and cheek can be because of injury to inferior alveolar nerve during extraction of the wisdom tooth on right side. Inferior alveolar nerve is responsible for sensation in tongue and lips and may get affected while giving local anesthesia or tooth extraction. Nerves when squashed up, bruised or stretched leads to numbness. Numbness can be temporary or very rarely can be permanent. Numbness can last for several days to several months. In case of temporary nerve damage, nerve regenerates in 3 weeks or more.   You can’t do much about the numbness. You can visit your oral surgeon and can talk to him about it. For more info on complications after tooth extraction, you can refer to following article… http://www.identalhub.com/dental-complications-after-tooth-extraction-881.aspx

Free Dental Consultation