It was actually a piece of the back end of the socket did not heal or came loose and caused a lot of pain. oral surgeon packed with eugenol 2 times and then told me to just irrigate the area with salt water. I have been doing this every day 2-3 times a day. The socket looks alot better and but still doesn't feel completely healed because when i'm eating or talking alot it starts to hurt a bit. My question is when do I stop the irrigations, and are they making the healing process take longer? Sometimes after I irrigate the area, if gets kind of red and irritated. I don't have a regular dentist and my tooth was extracted at a city hospital. Please send an answer, I don't know what to do.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 21 - June - 2011, at 18:48 PM

• The extraction socket can take from 6 weeks to 3 months to heal completely depending on the procedure of extraction. Normal extractions take less time to heal as compared to surgical extractions where bone cutting has been done. So keep doing warm saline rinses 2-3 times a day for atleast 6 weeks. If it is still irritating or painful you can do these for 3 months. More important to maintain good oral hygiene so that secondary infection does not set in. For more info on tooth extraction aftercare you can read this article... http://www.identalhub.com/article_do's-and-don'ts-after-tooth-extraction-153.aspx

Free Dental Consultation