I need a deep cleaning, but do not have dental insurance. I can not afford $1,000 to see the dentist. I can purchase a Ultrasonic Scaler online for a couple hundred dollars. I watched several videos online how to use one and the process looks very simple. What harm could I cause if I just did it at home?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 22 - October - 2012, at 03:04 AM

• It is absolutely normal to experience some pain/sensitivity after teeth scaling and planing,especially if you had a tooth sensitivity problem before the procedure. Before the periodontal scaling some exposed dentin tubules might be covered by calculus ‘protecting’ them from external stimuli that could cause sensitivity pain.But after the calculus is scraped away the dentin becomes exposed again,explaining the incidents of increased tooth pain after tooth scaling and root planing procedures. The removal of the irritating factors from the gums will decrease the gum inflammation. As a result the gums will seem to shrink and recede,in some cases,revealing a severe gum recession that might need surgical treatment. For some days after the treatment,the gums may also feel sore and tender.Some gum bleeding during brushing can be expected for the first days.You can take an over the counter pain reliever to comfort tooth pain after scaling and planing.An anti-microbial mouthrinse may also be used if you feel discomfort during brushing due to sore gums. The tooth sensitivity may be treated by applying a fluoride varnish on the exposed areas of the roots.A follow-up appointment must be scheduled 1-2 months after teeth scaling,for the dentist to check the gum healing and the reduction in the depth of the periodontal pockets.For more info, visit the link http://www.identalhub.com/article_healthy-gums-a-mirror-to-healthy-heart-237.aspx

• Lin  Hamilton

Lin Hamilton 21 - October - 2012, at 21:02 PM

• Had another deep cleaning and now gums are retracted away from teeth in some places, temperature sensitive, doctor was rough and I do not trust him. What do I need to look for? When do I go for treatment of damaged gums? If normal, how long to recovery?

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 17 - February - 2011, at 20:23 PM

• Though it looks simple but it needs good knowledge of anatomy of oral cavity, skill and control over scaler. It is not only the instrument which cleans the teeth but the skill and knowledge of dentist doing it, which takes care of particular proble. Definately you can buy ultrasonic scaler online at very cheap rate but donot ever dream of doing what you are asking. You may badly mutilate your gums and will be doing more harm to your gums and oral cavity, the treatment costs for repairing the damage can run into many thousand dollars. If you donot have insurance and donot have money to pay to dentist then you can look for some free dental clinics which are organised by dental associations or can go to some dental school near your home where they do free treatment as they need patients for their students but the treatment is absolutely flawless. For more info on dental scaling you can read this article... www.identalhub.com/dental-why-root-scaling-and-planning-is-good--716.aspx

Free Dental Consultation