I have a pus pocket above one of my very front teeth. I was prescribed 875 mg. of Amoxicilling 2 x day for 14 days until I can get back home. However, I have completed that prescribed medication and there is still pus. It drains (with a little help from me), but seems to accumulate daily. Is it just going to go away? Does it need to be drained daily? I can't get to my dentist at least for one more week. It's not painful, but when I feel pressure, I know that pus has come back into the pocket. Aren't those strong meds that were prescribed?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 22 - July - 2011, at 19:15 PM

• It looks like that you have an infected front tooth with abscess. Draining pus pocket is called intraoral sinus. for this you have to get the treatment of tooth done which will be root canal treatment. Antibiotics can reduce the intensity of infection but they cannot remove the infection completely as the cause of infection i.e. necrosed pulp is not removed. Necrosed pulp can be removed with Root Canal treatment only. Due to antibiotics you have taken so far, the tooth is not painful and there is no swelling. You have to schedule an appointment with dentist and get the treatment done. Till then you can keep doing warm saline rinses 2-3 times a day and maintain very good oral hygiene. Warm saline rinses will help in drainage of sinus which is forming daily. For more info on Root Canal treatment you can read this article..... http://www.identalhub.com/article_when-is-root-canal-treatment-required-294.aspx

Free Dental Consultation