Hi, After a long complicated extraction of my lower left wisdom tooth, the anesthesia effect did not fully fade. It's been over a month now and I still have significant numbness on the left side of my lower lip, chin, and a small part of my gums. I do however have some feeling when I touch or drink cold/hot drinks. My dentist is currently on vacation, eventhough she said I have nothing to worry about I do want to get a second opinion as so far it's been a while without much improvement. what do you think could be happening? and what sort of help should I be seeking at the moment? Thanks & regards.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 16 - April - 2010, at 19:37 PM

• some times after difficult extracton of wisdom tooth in which bone cutting has to be done, this problem do occurs. It is not the effect of anaesthesia but it is due to the nerve injury. It takes time for the neve to regenerate. It can take upto 3 months and after that the normal sensation is there. Your dentist is right. You just have to wait and after some times the feeling of numbness will go. If you want to know more about the complcations after wisdom tooth extraction you can visit the followng link on our website........... http://www.identalhub.com/article_problems-after-removal-of-wisdom-teeth-254.aspx

Free Dental Consultation