I got my wisdom teeth out four days ago and 3 of the 4 have healed properly. My bottom left one is giving me a problem though. It seems that the stitches have popped open and is now exposed unlike the other 3. What should I do?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Angela Hong

Angela Hong 29 - March - 2012, at 21:35 PM

• i just popped mine and i got my stiches, wisdom teeth removed yesterday. should i go back to the dentist and get the stitches redone or take the advice on the similar case above/below and just rinse with warm salted water? (and eat gentle, soft or liquidy foods?)

• dr ritz

dr ritz 07 - November - 2011, at 23:50 PM

• If only a single stitch is gone and other stitches are in place, then you don't need to worry. stitches are given to approximate the flap margins and to fasten the healing process of extraction socket. Depending on procedure and difficulty of tooth extraction, it takes 3 weeks to 3months for extraction socket to heal completely. Difficulty in opening mouth is common after tooth extraction and will be fine in some time. Try to open your mouth by inserting 3 fingers in your mouth. Maintain good oral hygiene and avoid any food accumulates in tooth extraction socket which can delay the healing. Continue with the warm saline rinses. Follow all the instructions of your dentist and take the meds as prescribed to avoid any secondary infections.

• jordan

jordan 07 - November - 2011, at 10:50 AM

• i just got mine pulled friday and its monday, i still cant open my mouth and one of the stitches are gone, i can see the hole my tooth came out of. is this a problem? will i be able to open my mouth soon? how long will it take for them to completely heal?

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 23 - August - 2011, at 00:15 AM

• If after 4days of extraction, the stitches have popped open, then also it will not cause any complication. The socket will heal on its own. Keep doing the warm saline rinses 3-4 times a day which will increase the healing process. Avoid eating anything from that side of extraction socket and keep the socket area of that side clean by maintaining good oral hygiene and not allowing any food accumulation to take place there. Take soft and liquid diet and follow the instructions of your dentist. Take the medicaments as prescribed by your dentist. To know more about care after wisdom tooth extraction, you can refer to the following article…http://www.identalhub.com/article_care-after-wisdom-tooth-extraction-258.aspx

Free Dental Consultation