I went to a dentist who said I needed to replace a crown that wasn't giving me any problems. I did at her suggestion. Before the new crown was put on, she cleaned out the area and she dug so deep that even with the novacaine I could feel some pain. After she replaced the crown, I started to get pain in the crown as well as a headache. She recommended 800 mgm of Ibuprofen 3 times a day to calm the nerve. That didn't work. The pain in the tooth went away but I'm stuck with the headaches am and pm so end up taking Ibuprofen. She now claims I need a root canal. I no longer go to her, went to another dentist who xrayed and said the nerve looks fine. Still the headaches. Should I have the root canal done anyway on a good tooth?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 09 - July - 2011, at 19:34 PM

• If after xrays the nerve are fine and there are no other symptoms like pain on percussion, pain on chewing on that side then there is no need to go for Root Canal treatment. For headaches you can wait for some days and can take pain killer tabs. If it does not go within 3-6 weeks of treatment then you may go for another xray. Sometimes initialy xray does not show anything if it is borderline case. After passage of this times the symptoms may show up in xrays. You can get occlusion checked also to find out whether the crown is high or not. Sometimes when the crown is high, you tend to get headaches. For more info on RCT you can read this article... http://www.identalhub.com/article_signs-and-symptoms-of-root-canal-therapy-104.aspx

Free Dental Consultation