My dentist told me i needed a crown and next to it a filling. When i was in the chair under gas, he told me that the filling was not going to be enough and that that too would need a crown. He would do them both at the same time. I said ok. He put on a temp....after exraying prior to ordering the crown, he then said the one tooth needed a root canal. I consulted and it did not. My dentist agreed and we went forward with just the crowns. By this time i was uncomfortable with whether i was getting good advice or not...since the root canal advice was deemed by another dentist not to be necessary since the tooth was still well alive. I postponed getting the temp replaced by the actual crown, dreading another "discovery". Today, i bit the bullet and went to have the crowns impression made. Having already paid for the crowns ahead of time, and all submitted to the insurance company (a year passed). Today, he stated that i owe another $1,500 for the two TEMPORARIES. Clearly he should have told me i still owed on this...and now i don't have dental insurance. But shouldn't this all be better managed up front? Are temps REALLY THAT EXPENSIVE? they were almost as much as the crowns!

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 19 - May - 2011, at 10:45 AM

• If you had insurance, then he must have received the fee from insurance. The fee approved by insurance is the fee approved for dentist and he charges that only. Normally the temporary crowns are included in the cost of permanent crowns. If you are not satisfied then you can ask him and tell him to show the EOB from insurance company showing the approval of temporary. For more info on dental crowns you can read this article.. www.identalhub.com/article_average-cost-of-dental-crowns-447.aspx

Free Dental Consultation