broke a tooth and am now in great pain

Leave Comment


  • Dr.Ritz

    Dr.Ritz 19 - December - 2011, at 02:41 AM

  • If a tooth is broken, then you need treatment for it. Treatment of a broken tooth depends on the type of tooth which is fractured and the extent of damage to the tooth. If a small portion of front tooth is broken or chipped off, then dental bonding is required for the tooth. Dental bonding can be done with composite restoration which is tooth colored, esthetic filling material. Dental lumineers, veneers may also be given in case of fracture of front tooth. If it is a back portion of the tooth which is broken, then dental crown will be required. If the nerve of the tooth is exposed, then root canal treatment followed by dental crown will be required for the tooth. After trauma to the tooth, if the tooth pains even after a very long time and there is irreversible pulp damage present, then root canal treatment followed by dental crown is required.   For front teeth, porcelain or porcelain fused to metal dental crown can be given and for back teeth, porcelain fused to metal or metallic dental crown are required. If much of tooth structure is broken and tooth is badly mutilated, then root canal procedure followed by post and core procedure and dental crown is required. Without clinical examination, it is difficult to give definite treatment plan. You have to visit your dentist to get treatment done. By the time you get treatment done, avoid eating from the affected tooth and maintain good oral hygiene to avoid any secondary infections. Applying orajel over site may provide some temporary relief. For detailed info on how chipped tooth is fixed by the dentist, refer to…

Free Dental Consultation