I have had an upper molar extraction last week(it fractured during the extraction process),but now i feel that there is a small part of the tooth not in the socket but along the border of the gum,it hurts my tongue also.I have visited the dentist today,but his answer was "it is a normal thing during an extraction,the part you feel is the section of the tooth that fits with the jawbone,It will make no effects whether it leaves as it is or not,But if you want i can remove that part but its very complicated and you will feel uncomfortable".So i have decided not to remove it. But i have heard that sometimes leaving a small part may lead to an infection,so what can i do now

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 01 - August - 2011, at 09:30 AM

• You are right the part of the tooth should not be left especially if it is so superficial that you can feel it with tongue.Some time apical one third of the tooth is left in the socket which is quite difficult to extract as the approach is difficult and lot of bone cutting has to be done but if it is lying superficially it should be extracted. For more info on wisdom teeth you can visit the following link...http://www.identalhub.com/article_problems-after-removal-of-wisdom-teeth-254.aspx

Free Dental Consultation