I am 44 yrs old, my 3rd lower jaw tooth decayed one year ago and I had silver filling (Amalgam). Decay started from inner side of the tooth i.e. between 4th and 3rd tooth and came towards the centre of 3rd tooth. This is my first tooth decay and filling. Now I am thinking of taking out this Amalgam filling and go for white composite filling due to the reason Amalgam filling can be harmful to heart and brain (I read somewhere on the internet). I have few questions about this.
I will be grateful to your answers. It gives me peace of mind. Now I am going through very stressful time.
1. Is amalgam filling harmful to heart and brain in the long run.
2. In taking out the amalgam filling and putting white composite filling – do I further loose part of the tooth in this process (i.e. grinding before filling). i.e. Is it a further tooth damaging process or easy and simple process? Or alternatively is it a good idea going for taking out only upper layer of the previous amalgam filling and seal with white composite (I prefer this). By doing this, does it prevent leaching of Amalgam (if any) and going into my body in the long run.
3. At this 3rd tooth where amalgam filling is done, sometimes I get very very little pain or discomfort (this happens only when I am very tired, stressful and had very less sleep during night – 4 hours). Is it normal or is it decaying further.
4. Between the decayed - filled 3rd lower jaw tooth and 4th good tooth there is a 1 to 2mm gap (Now after filling). At the top it is 1mm gap and as we go down it becomes 2mm gap at the base. There was a bigger gap before filling a year ego. The problem now is food goes into this gap and I need to clean every time I eat. Can I go for complete filling of this gap with composite. Is it OK to do. Does it cause any infection or decay.
5. Does going for x-ray of all of my teeth is advisable considering my age, just to check any near future possibilities of decays. (I get slight pain with cold water on some teeth). Which one best to get a clear picture (X-ray, Dental imaging or 3D x-ray). Are 3D x-rays and Dental imaging safe to go for (e.g. Cancers etc)
Thank you for your help.