I was diagnosed with periodontal disease and had perio charting with some pockets great 6 and two around 9. The periodontist recommended pocket reduction surgery, is this the appropriate treatment? can you please give me the approximate pricing since i don't have dental coverage. thank you very much

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 07 - September - 2011, at 23:56 PM

• The normal depth of gingival sulcus is 2mm but in your case, the pocket depth is more than 6. Periodontal pocket occurs in case of chronic gum inflammation. In case of periodontal pockets, there is loss of bone and ligament and the sulcus gets deepened.  So you require pocket reduction surgery for this. Pocket reduction surgery is done to reduce the depth of the periodontal pockets and to allow less of plaque and calculus deposits and greater access for hygiene.  Pocket reduction surgery reduces the bacterial spread, stops the bone loss and enhances the smile of the patient.  If the surgery is not performed, then more destruction of gums can take place and the tooth may eventually become loose and fall. Get the surgery asap to avoid any complication.  The surgery will be performed under local anesthesia or general anesthesia.  The gums are pulled back from the teeth and bacteria and calculus will be eliminated. There will be significant reduction in periodontal pocket depth after the surgery and the condition of gums and teeth will improve significantly. Till the time you get surgery for pocket reduction done, maintain a good oral hygiene and brush and floss regularly.  The cost of periodontal surgery varies from place to place, from procedure to procedure and from one periodontist to other. The surgery may cost you around $1000 to $2000 on average per quadrant. For more info on gum disease surgery, you can refer to the following article... http://www.identalhub.com/article_what-is-gum-disease-surgery-339.aspx

Free Dental Consultation