I am undergoing braces treatment and after visits to my orthodontist I feel headache. i want to check whether this headache is normal and whether it happens with everybody or i am exception.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 23 - June - 2011, at 19:47 PM

• There are quite a few people who might say that braces and headaches are linked. Every time that they are tightened and the ligatures put on them, there might be some soreness, discomfort and headache. However, this will go away in a few hours or you can have a pain killer after consulting with your dentist.

Braces and Headache can be linked together initially when you have your braces placed on your teeth. However, after a few days you will get adjusted to having them in your mouth so that no headaches will result from it. The best thing to do in this case is to go ahead and tell your dentist about any underlying concerns that you have. This will enable them to ensure that you are able to get rid of the concern as soon as possible. Ensure that you study the pattern of these headaches that you feel are linked with the braces. As soon as you have the braces on and feel the headache come on, note it down and keep a diary about them. After a few days, you should be able to notice them disappear. If they still persist then you need to bring it to the notice of your dentist right away and they will have the brackets and ligatures adjusted. The dentists certainly have techniques to make it as pain free as possible.

Braces and Headache are linked together and the best way to get rid of the pain is to take a pain killer after consulting your dentist. The moment you have your braces changed or tightened you will find that you might have a headache. Another good idea that most patients resort to is to go ahead and have some medication before they go to the dentist to have the braces set so that by the time the dentist starts working on your teeth, your medication would have already started working.

After the braces are tightened, you will feel quite not alright and a soreness in your mouth. This kind of feeling can lead to headaches. All that you need to do is to give it some time and the headache will be disappearing on its own. The thing to keep in mind is that a headache can involve several things and braces might be just one of them. No matter what kind of braces you have on be they metallic, ceramic or invisalign, they have to work in the same way to put pressure on the teeth to move them in the right direction. This is to get the desired outcome of getting your teeth in a straight line. A good idea is to discuss it with the treating doctor in depth so that they will be able to make the necessary changes in the treatment as well as suggest medication to take in case you feel a headache coming. This is a temporary thing for sure and will soon go away.

Free Dental Consultation