I have a few hard white bumps on the inside of my lower jaw next to my tongue. They appear is if small teeth were trying to break through. They are about the size of a tic tac mint. What are they?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 10 - October - 2011, at 02:46 AM

• Diagnosis of white bumps varies with age. You have not mentioned your age. Every problem is related to age. If you have baby teeth present, then white bumps can be because of ectopic eruption of adult teeth.  White bumps can be canker sores or can be because of some irritant in that area. White bumps can also be because of bony tori. Bony tori are commonly found on gums adjacent to tongue. Tori are generally not a problem and can be easily removed by the dentist.   White bumps can also be because of some other benign or malignant condition (osteoma and sarcoma which cause unusual bony growth in mouth). If it is a canker sore, then it will heal on its own in 10-14 days. If it is because of some irritant in that area, then it needs to be removed. Without clinical examination, we can’t give definite diagnosis. If the lesion persists for more than 2 weeks, then you have to consult your dentist. Dentist may do oral biopsy for confirm diagnosis and to rule out any malignant condition. For more info on canker sores, you can refer to following article…  http://www.identalhub.com/article_canker-sore-234.aspx

Free Dental Consultation