when i close my mouth, only the teeth in front meets. the teeth at the back don't meet. why is this so? is this because of my sleeping posture? because i sleep with face facing right or left almost everyday... what should i do? will i be needing braces?

Leave Comment

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 11 - August - 2011, at 02:07 AM

• You must not be closing your mouth properly. The back teeth meet during closing mouth and during swallowing. In other positions, the back teeth may not be meeting because of overjet and overbite.It is difficult to comment without clinical examination. If your back teeth don’t meet during swallowing then you would not even be able to eat food. It happens in very few cases that the teeth don’t meet during swallowing and closing the mouth. If it is there, then you have posterior open bite present.  It is not because of sleeping posture. Posterior open bite can be because of heredity or can be because of some oral habit. You will be needing braces for treating it. For more info on diagnosing need for braces, you can refer to the following article...  http://www.identalhub.com/article_diagnosing-need-for-braces-161.aspx

Free Dental Consultation