I have a question about partials. I'm having a partial for 12, 10 ,9, 8 and 7. Due to my insurance, the teeth need to be extracted prior to asking for authorization for the partial to be made (something about authorization won't be granted until the work has begun). Once the teeth are extracted, it will be approx 4 - 6 weeks before the partial will be produced. I just had root canals done on 13, 11, and 6. The partial is to attach to those. I will receive the crowns in approx 2 -4 weeks. After the crowns arrive, then the impression for the partial can be taken. Note; the above was explained by Western Dental. The dentist I've been seeing for my last couple visits, urged my to have the extractions done immediately. As it was explained, it takes approx 3 - 4 months for my gums to heal. If I have the extractions now, then when the partial is ready, it will be a more comfortable fit. Otherwise, I will be requiring multiple adjustments as my gums heal. My point of view, is going over a month without 5 front teeth, which I use quite frequently while taking bites from my meal prior to chewing. My question is; Should I have the extractions of 12, 10, 9, 8, and 7 now, or wait until everything else is done? Was my dentist exaggerating about needing the partial to be adjusted multiple times throughout the course of several months?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 13 - June - 2010, at 05:19 AM

• It s better to get the extractions done before as it will take some time for the extraction sockets to heal. It will take around 3 weeks or more depending upon the ytpe of extraction. After extraction you can go for removable partial dentures, for the time being till the temporary bridges are ready the remvable partials are  also called fippers. Then you can go for the root caal treatment of the teeth and then get the permanent partial made. The fitting will be good and you do not have to go for any adjustments.For more info on fixed crown and bridges you can visit the followng link  on our website....http://www.identalhub.com/article_how-do-bridges-work-225.aspx

Free Dental Consultation