I went for the extraction of the lower eighth (Wisdom Tooth) right side, they gave me Local Anesthesia, as soon as it entered into my blood stream, i got my Right eye diplopic ( Double Vision). Doctors team imediately stopped there but could not find out whyy i'm having such a problem. And then they denied for the further procedure. i wanna know why it happened to my eye and what care should be taken to avoid it in the future. P.S. my right eye is an amblyopic eye (Lazy eye)

Leave Comment

Comments

• Sue

Sue 03 - November - 2011, at 22:01 PM

• About 7 years ago I had the upper wisdom teeth on the right side extracted. The doctor gave me several injections of Local Anesthesia. When the last injection was given I immediately had a terrible sensation in my eye that I was totally unprepared for...after all, the injections where in my mouth! After I calmed down the doctor said he accidentally had hit a blood vessel leading to my eye. He gave me about 15 minutes so that my eye would feel better, but the whole thing gave me and his new assistant a big scare to say the least. Neither of us had ever heard of such a thing. Perhaps that is what happened to the person named Xee who posted on 11/02/2011. I am not sure if I had double vision, but I know that I had some trouble seeing for a few minutes. I don't think this was a factor, but my right eye also is a lazy eye.

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 02 - November - 2011, at 03:49 AM

• Diplopia that is double visit doesn’t usually occur after local anesthesia injection. In case of extraction of upper front teeth, patient may feel some irritation to eye if local anesthetic block is given before tooth extraction but in lower teeth, local anesthetic shot hardly cause any problem in eye. Double vision or blurred vision can occur as an adverse reaction to local anesthetic agent. Lidocaine or xylocaine is one of the most common local anesthetic agent which can rarely cause adverse reactions like nervousness, apprehension, drowsiness, tinnitus, blurred or double vision. Diplopia after local anesthesia injection complication is transient in nature.  If it persists for longer, then consult an ophthalmologist.  You can get wisdom tooth extraction done under conscious sedation. Tell your oral surgeon before tooth extraction, that you faced such a problem. For more info on local anesthetic agents, refer to... http://www.identalhub.com/dental-different-types-local-anesthesia-in-dentistry-794.aspx

Free Dental Consultation