hi i have a really important question.. i was eating a french toasted bread and broke my tooth (fang) and the enamel broke from my tooth and i have the dentin exposed it looks like i have the tooth still but it is still the dentin im really scared that its going to be hurting really bad it does not hurt....yet .... what can i do to help until i can go to a dentist?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 10 - June - 2013, at 20:28 PM

• Your dentist is right in saying that redo will cause more trauma to the tooth as tooth preparation has to be done for refilling. It is better to wait and watch. if the symptoms subside it will be fine otherwise you may have to go for root canal treatment. Anyway you are taking 2nd opinion. This will help in making right decision.

• emily

emily 10 - June - 2013, at 10:05 AM

• I had a an amalgam filling replaced 4 weeks ago on my molar. That tooth was giving me no problem whatsover, but the dentist suggested replacing it to avoid a root canal at later date since some of the edges looked iffy to her. So I did. Ever since that I have tooth sensitivity to hot/cold. I also noticed that my tooth was reduced and that some of my dentin might be exposed. That tooth was already hypoplastic, but one cuspid is sensitive. I went back 2 weeks later and she xrayed it. Xray looked good. I asked her if she could just add more composite cuz it seemed like it just needed some insulation. She said she would have to redo the filling in order to add more material, but that subjecting my tooth to more drilling might further aggravate the nerve. And so I'm taking an antibiotic, using sensodyne and advil. My insurance for root canal kicks in in fall. Do i have her try to redo filling (since it wasn't bothering me at all previously and xray was fine) and risk aggravating the nerve or do I wait this out til insurance kicks in and see endodontist. I really feel like more material would help and so i am seeking a 2nd opinion. But I feel the industry would rather make money on a root canal than take an easier path. Any advice would be appreciated.

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 09 - January - 2012, at 00:43 AM

• Trauma or eating something very hard can lead to chipping of tooth structure. If dentin of tooth is exposed, then it leads to sensitivity to hot and cold food stuffs. You need to get treatment done for your chipped tooth. If only the enamel is chipped off and dentin is exposed, then tooth can be repaired with composite restoration. Composite is a tooth colored, esthetic filling material. If pulp of the tooth is also involved in trauma, then root canal treatment followed by dental crown is required. If chipped tooth is not fixed, then the tooth may break further and lead to pain. Try to schedule an early appointment with your dentist to get treatment done. Exposed dentin can get infected and cause complications. By the time, you visit your dentist, avoid eating from the side of affected tooth and maintain good oral hygiene to avoid secondary infections. For more info on how chipped tooth is fixed by the dentist, refer to…..    http://www.identalhub.com/article_how-chipped-tooth--is--fixed-by-dentist-790.aspx

Free Dental Consultation