Upper right tooth, second from canine, had previous crown but no RTC, would flair up from time to time...previous dentist said nothing wrong with it, so this has gone on for about 4 years, it would sometimes flair up and ache, and the roof of my mouth would swell a little and it would go away. Two years ago saw another dentist, had full mouth X-rays, tooth wasn't bothering me at that time so I didnt mention it, his X-rays showed no dental work needed. August 1st I was eating and this whole tooth broke off at gun, no pain at that time, called another dentist that could see me the next day, he said it had infection,but he could save the tooth. He did the RTC that day and prescribed clindamycin, next day I am in severe pain,and some swelling, this pain got better each day and the swelling lasted about 4 days. Went back one week later, still infection in X-ray, no bad pain, but dentist said lets wait another week before the crown, went in today,X-ray still shows infection, prescribed me another week on clindamycin, and said if it is still infected next Friday, the tooth would need to come out. My questions, is it common to still have infection? Also can he pull it out if I have infection? And also my friends keep saying I need to make him pull it now the infection can get into my heart, is this true even if I am on the antibiotics? Thank you for answering these questions, as I am now really afraid of this infection traveling somewhere else in my body. Currently the only time it hurts is if you tap on the tooth, otherwise it really doesn't bother me.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 20 - August - 2012, at 09:23 AM

• If there is pain in the tooth while tapping that means the tooth is still infected. Whether you should get it pulled out or not depends upon the infection . If the infection is involving the furcation area of root or if there is root resorption or bone resorption and your dentist feels that it can not be saved then it should be pulled out. Any focus of infection if can not be treated should be removed otherwise it causes problems. If you are not convinced with your dentist you can take the second opinion.Without seeing the case clinically and taking the history it is difficult to give the definite diagnosis and the treatment plan. For more info on complications after root canal treatment you can visit the following link.......http://www.identalhub.com/dental-root-canal-treatment-vs-tooth-extraction-915.aspx

Free Dental Consultation