Hi. I had 2 of my wisdom teeth (lower left and right) removed last week because they were impacted. The left was removed on April 8 and the right was removed the following day. In both operations, the dentist had to cut portions of adjacent teeth because they were blocking the path for the wisdom teeth to be removed, but no bone was cut. The operation for the left took 2 hrs but the right took more than 4 hrs to remove because the root was on top of a nerve and movement caused pain despite local anesthesia. The dentist would inject anesthesia every time I felt pain when he would try to move the right tooth. The left side has healed and pain was felt only a couple of days. However, for my right side, numerous ulcers came about on the sites where the dentist injected anesthesia and they are very painful. I have trouble moving my tongue to the left because I would feel a sharp pain. There is also pain in my jaw and back of my ear. I have been on a liquid diet since the operations and until now because it is very painful when I try to eat and chew; even drinking is painful. I also have difficulty in talking because when I move my tongue, there is sharp pain. I consulted with my dentist last Saturday because the pain was unbearable. He prescribed me with coamoxiclav, prednisone, periodent ointment (metronidazole, lidocaine and chlorhexidine) and chlorhexidine mouthwash. I am taking all except the prednisone because I'm afraid I'll easily get infections since I work in the hospital setting. Please help, I need to recover talking normally quickly. How long would it take for the ulcers and the pain to go away? Also, is it okay if I skip the prednisone?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 15 - April - 2013, at 19:46 PM

• For ulceration and pain to go, it can take upto 3 weeks or more as the healing somtimes is delayed because of surgical tooth extraction. You should not skip the medication prescribed by the dentist. Whatever the dentist has prescribed even if it is prednisone, take it in the prescribed dosages as this will help in healing the ulcers faster. Along with all the medication, maintain good oral hygiene. You can do warm saline rinses also 2-3 times a day and try not to irritate the area and take soft diet till the healing is there. For more info on do's and donts' after tooth extraction you can read this article...  http://www.identalhub.com/article_do's-and-don'ts-after-tooth-extraction-153.aspx

Free Dental Consultation