i had a dull pain in a molar with amalgam filling two years ago , i went to my dentist, he examine it with x-ray & said that he saw everything is good & he didn't know the reason of the pain but he described a toothpaste for sensitive teeth & anti-inflammatory tablets & set another appointment next week to re-examine it ... now i'd like to know why it's hard to detect the reason for the pain & what can be it's causes ( just scientific possible reasons for that strange pain :) ) Thanks very much :)

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 04 - February - 2012, at 10:12 AM

• There are so many reasons which can cause pain after a amalgam filling. If the pain is immediately after getting the filling done then it can be because of high filling which causes trauma to tooth and hence tenderness in the tooth or it can be because of insert to the pulp when the cavity is prepared. Lot of heat is produced during cavity preparation and it can cause the inflammation of the pulp. this condition is reversable and this condition is called reversable pulpitis. If the pain is after few months or years then it can becaus of micro leakage between the tooth and amalgam filling as the amalgam filling donot chemically bond to tooth but retention is there. This microleakage can cause senstitity and pain and sometimes it can cause th secondary caries also. For more info on pain after tooth filling you can read this comprehensive articles.... http://www.identalhub.com/dental-reasons-of-tooth-ache-or-pain-after-dental-filling-812.aspx

Free Dental Consultation