I have very small gum swelling above my root canal which was done 3 years back. One dentist said I need to do surgery which I want to avoid and other dentist said no need of surgery if there is no pus and no pain which is the case. I did opg and there is one white spot inside gum where my gum is bumpy from outside.I need second expert opinion about surgery. I have my xray and opg with me in an image if required

Leave Comment

Comments

• Amit

Amit 21 - May - 2012, at 03:04 AM

• Thank you Mr. Ritz for your reply. Your suggestion of re RCT is what my other dentist suggested. So I will listen to both of you and will go for re root canal treament in order avoid flap surgery which was suggested by my previous dentist.

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 21 - May - 2012, at 00:24 AM

• Infection inside the RCT tooth develops due to nerve segement left inside while the tooth is capped. Now talking of the white spot, it can be a dentin layer that is acting as a demarcation between underlying nerve and filling. Now if the tooth is hurting than its most probably due to the fact the filling is acting as a conducted to transmit pain. 

You can wait for the self healing process but if the tooth is hurting than you can go for re RCT. Also sometimes white color can be seen due to constiction of blood vessels in the area or it can be due to plaque in the gums...For more info on gum surgery you can visit the link...http://www.identalhub.com/article_what-is-gum-disease-surgery-339.aspx

Free Dental Consultation