Dear Dr Ritz: I'm 49 - and last thursday (March 15) i had an extraction done on an upper molar - had heaps of bleeding/ excessive pain/ went back to dentist on the following Tuesday (March 20) and had dry socket - dentist packed my tooth with something - went home - and it did feel better for awhile but by 4pm on that day whatever he had packed my tooth with had dislodged (i didn't eat, rinse, smoke or do anything else to purposely dislodge the packing) it is now Friday March 23 - pain has been increasing since tuesday and today the socket has started bleeding again. I have been feeling quite ill and i have pain going down my neck and increased migraine. I know that i should go back to the dentist - but really -what is he going to do? I was not initially given any antibiotics and only on tuesday I was given a script for panadeine forte (australian version of Tylenol 3) does nothing for my pain. It's throbbing and i just feel plain lousy. Any help/suggestion you could give would be wonderful. Kind Regards

Leave Comment

• debbeQ

debbeQ 23 - March - 2012, at 11:44 AM

• Thank you Dr Ritz for your suggestions and your explanations. I do feel a bit better now knowing that i will probably need to go back to the dentist 2 or 3 times to get this cleared up. Thank you again for taking time to answer my questions. Kind Regards,

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 23 - March - 2012, at 10:18 AM

• Dry socket is a very painful condition. You have to go to the dentist he will clean the socket and induce the fresh bleeding or he may pack your socket with the dry socket dressing paste which is very effective. You may have to go 2 to 3 timed for getting the dressing . You may have to take theantibiotics along with the pain killers. Till then you can do warm saline rinses 2 o 3 times a day and maintain good oral hygeine and visit your dentist ASAP.For more info on dry socket you can vsit the following link...

Free Dental Consultation