I recently had 6 teeth pulled & had to return to have pieces of bone removed that had surfaced. Since then all is well except for upper left side. I found more bone protruding & have cheekbone & facial pain with swelling. What could be causing this & how should I deal with it. I have allergies to aspirin & ibuprophen so these are not an option for me. Please help as I am worried.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Laurie

Laurie 04 - March - 2013, at 09:56 AM

• Thank you for the advice Dr. Ritz. In answer to your question about "how long ago my teeth were pulled", it was on Feb. 6, 2013. Then I went back about 1 1/2 weeks later to have bone removed that had surfaced & they had to stitch some of my gum closed due to they were not healing quick enough(b/c I am a diabetic) I now have more bone showing on the upper left side gum & it feels like I have pressure in my cheek bone, left side sinus', I also keep a headache & the glands in my neck are swollen, as well as pain.

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 03 - March - 2013, at 20:24 PM

• You have not written how many days back you got the teeth extracted. If it is more than 3 weeks then you have to visit your dentist and find out the cause as there can be infection which has set in otherwise it will take sometime for the bone to settle down. Keep doing warm saline rinses and maintain good oral hygiene and you can apply some otc available gum paint in that area. Follow all the instructions given by your dentist. Pain and swelling is normal after tooth extraction for 3 weeks. For more info on complications after tooth extraction you can check this article in our website... http://www.identalhub.com/dental-swelling-after-tooth-extraction-878.aspx

Free Dental Consultation