I had emergency tooth extraction on Sunday a week ago today. It was very hard to get out. The dentist had to cut the tooth into and it broke into pieces coming out. The tooth turned out to be fused to the bone. A lot of pressure was put on my mouth and a lot of numbing medicine and shots were given to me. On Tuesday I returned to the dentist with pain. He said it was healing well except on one tiny spot and he put medicine in it. Today the swelling is better and it seems to be healing but there is still some pain and discomfort. I am taking Tylenol and antibiotics. Is this normal?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 11 - February - 2013, at 07:43 AM

• If the pain and swelling is better after 1 week of tooth extraction then it is normal. Yours was a difficult extraction where lot of bone cutting is needed so it will take around 3 weeks to 6 weeks for complete healing. Take your meds regularly and follow all instructions of your dentist. Also maintain good oral hygiene. For more info on pain after tooth extraction you can check this article... http://www.identalhub.com/dental-pain-during-and-after-tooth-extraction-870.aspx

Free Dental Consultation