I had a tooth surgically removed. The gum around adjacent tooth became dark brown , near black . Why did that happen? Is it a sign of oral cancer?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Michelle

Michelle 20 - April - 2013, at 08:21 AM

• The tooth was extracted 6 months ago. They did an implant on April 2,2013 . The discoloration started 3 months ago and haven't changed back to normal color. They said I also have some bone loss due to the missing tooth. What is that? I'm on a fixed income, so I can donate money on my payday. I'm a disabled US veteran.

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 19 - April - 2013, at 20:03 PM

• No it is not sign of oral cancer. This can happen due to trauma to gums during tooth extraction which  are in healing stage. So this blackness should go when the healing is complete which can take from 3 weeks to 6 weeks after tooth extraction. Till then maintain good oral hygiene and do warm saline rinses and follow all the instructions given by your dentist. For more info on do's and don'ts after tooth extraction you can check this article.... http://www.identalhub.com/article_do's-and-don'ts-after-tooth-extraction-153.aspx

Free Dental Consultation