Hi, I am 27 yrs old feale, and i have my wisdom tooth (lower right side) emerging out. As it is coming out of the gum, a part of my gum has been cut by the protruding tooth and now that piece of gum is lying and covering the half emerged tooth. This causes bleeding when i brush my teeth or when i touch it. When I lift this little part of the cut gum with my tongue i see the new tooth coming out and sometimes there is some blood visible around this tooth. Also a little part of the gum (that has been cut and is now just sliding over the tooth) has become white. There is no pain as such but yes i feel tender when i touch it or if a chew food from this side of the mouth. I am not using any mouthwash or whitening strips. I do brush my teeth twice a day. Please suggest. Thanks.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Mini

Mini 12 - October - 2012, at 08:18 AM

• Thanks Dr. Ritz for the useful information and you advice.

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 12 - October - 2012, at 04:23 AM

• When there is not enough space for wisdom tooth to erupt, then tooth becomes impacted.  Wisdom tooth may be partially or completely impacted. A flap of gum tissue is created in partially erupted wisdom tooth where food impaction can occur. Soft tissue flap covering partially impacted tooth is known as operculum. Entrapment of food below operculum or injury by the opposing tooth on operculum can lead to Pericoronitis.  When the flap becomes inflamed and swollen, then it is known as Pericoronitis.You can do hourly rinses with solution of tea spoonful of salt in glass of warm water.  You should take more of fluids and should maintain good oral hygiene to avoid any food accumulates in wisdom tooth area. You should brush and floss properly to avoid any food deposits. Food deposits will aggravate the pain. Pericoronitis infection can regress in duration of 5-7 days. If tooth doesn’t erupt completely, then food accumulates will keep depositing below the gums and can cause Pericoronitis to recur.Operculectomy that is surgical removal of flap over partial erupted tooth can also be done in case of Pericoronitis.  

For more nfo,visit the link http://www.identalhub.com/dental-what-is-pericoronitis-909.aspx

Free Dental Consultation