i am 16 years old and i have an underbite which is not so severe but my lower jaw is protruding out day by day. My orthodontist says that there are no other solution but a surgery at 18 years. Please help me and tell what can i do presently because i cant see my face going worse day by day.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 30 - December - 2012, at 23:59 PM

• HI Ranjan,There are several alternative ways to correct an underbite with restorative dentistry.If the malocclusion is mild, the underbite can be corrected with porcelain veneers.Porcelain veneers are eggshell thin pieces of porcelain bonded directly to the existing tooth structure.When applied to the upper teeth,the porcelain veneers give the appearance of the teeth being brought forward in the mouth.This creates the illusion of a more normal bite relationship rather than a protruding lower jaw,resulting in a more attractive smile.

• ranjan

ranjan 29 - December - 2012, at 02:29 AM

• sir, is there a treatment possible without the involvement of a surgery?

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 29 - December - 2012, at 02:26 AM

• Orthodontic treatment may be necessary before and after the jaw surgery.  Frequently, in skeletal imbalances like yours where the lower jaw (mandible) has developed more extensively than the upper jaw (maxilla) the teeth compensate by taking unfavorable positions. These dental compensations typically involve the lower incisors tipped excessively toward the tongue and the upper incisors tipped excessively toward the lips.  These dental compensations must be corrected with braces before surgery or you will have a dental malocclusion following the surgical repositioning of the jaw(s).  Additional orthodontic treatment following surgery is often necessary to "fine tune" the bite. All this requires a very close and collaborative treatment relationship between orthodontist and oral surgeon over a period of time which could be several year.

For more info,visit the link http://www.identalhub.com/article_why-do-we-need-braces-160.aspx

Free Dental Consultation