When I was 12 years old, one of my back teeth teeth got rotten. I was taken to the dentist & he gave me a filling. It was okay until I was 21 years old. The tooth rotted again & I didn't notice. When I was chewing chicken bone the tooth broke into pieces. About 50% of it broke. The center pieces of the tooth broke. I was taken into doctor again & he placed a huge chunk of filling in the tooth. The dentist told me to avoid eating on that side & advised to get a cap for the tooth later. However, I never got that cap & now part of that tooth is rotting & breaking into pieces again. A part of the filling also got rotten. Now what should I do? I'm scared of a root canal as I heard it hurts a lot. Will just a cap will do the job? BTW, I feel no pain at all in that teeth. Aside from when some parts of the tooth broke I felt excruciating pain but now its nothing.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Reyan

Reyan 04 - February - 2012, at 11:28 AM

• Thanks a lot. I really appreciate the advice.

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 04 - February - 2012, at 10:37 AM

• As your tooth is broken more than half and it is still breaking, you need a root canal treatment before going for the dental cap. Your tooth is already infected and dead. As it is a chronic infection you are not feeling any pain right now but if you go for dental crown without getting the RCT done then you will have pain which can be quite excruciating. so it is better to visit a dentist and get an xray done to find out the exact treatment plan. it is better to get RCT done first and then go for dental crown. these days Root canal treatment is not painful as they are done after numbing the tooth. For more info on Root canal treatment you can read this article... http://www.identalhub.com/article_signs-and-symptoms-of-root-canal-therapy-104.aspx

Free Dental Consultation