Got a small filling three months ago on a back molar. When the anasthetic wore off, I would feel a sharp pain when biting down (wasn't actually sure they cured it right during the procedure). It went away after a couple of days but I would still experience pain when chewing on it. Went back three times for adjustments/polishing to the filling and after the third time, the pain to chewing went away after a few days. A couple of weeks after that, started been sensitive to cold drinks and foods. So I went back and since I have sensitive teeth and worn enamel, they put sealant on it but took an x-ray before I left. It revealed that I have an abnormally large pulp so that the small filling ends up been pretty close to the pulp. The cold sensitivity has gotten somewhat better with the sealant but I still feel a slight dull ache every now and then in the tooth (Advil seems to help). At this point, would it be better to remove the filling and place a temporary sedative/disinfecting filling on it for a while before refilling it or would that make it worst by further irritating the tooth and this make it more likely to require RCT than now...? Or should it be left alone and hope it resolves? I don't believe a liner was placed under when doing the original filling since the filling was not assumed to be a deep one.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Roxanne

Roxanne 20 - March - 2013, at 10:17 AM

• Hi there, Thank you for your comments, they are greatly appreciated. After the sealant, the tooth is no longer excessively sensitive to cold. I have been avoiding chewing on it to give it a break, but I still feel a sort of dull ache where the filling is (even though it has now been almost 3 months!), so I am watching it rather carefully. Hopefully it will eventually resolve itself (fingers crossed). Thank you! Roxanne.

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 17 - March - 2013, at 08:54 AM

• If the pulp is abnormally large and is very  near to the filling then it is better not to get it redone as the dentist may end up in causing exposure and sensitivity may increase after getting the filling done. If the pain is not very bad and it is better after getting sealant then you may wait for some time but if the sensitivity increases then you may have to go for the Root Canal treatment for this. In shallow fillings, the liners are normally  not given as it can decrease the bulk of the restorative material used to restore the cavity and this way the strength of the restorative material decreases. For more info on conditions where root canal is required, you can read this article.... http://www.identalhub.com/article_why-is-root-canal-treatment-rct-required-299.aspx

Free Dental Consultation