dear Dr Ritz i mailed u last time but i think u did not get my point wt i wanted to ask.i am not having a chin deviation surgery .i am having a genioplasty,chin reduction surgery.i wanted to know before chin reduction is it important to finish braces treatment as my bite is not correct.or braces treatment can be dont after surgery plz rply me

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 10 - September - 2012, at 04:11 AM

• Braces won't interfere with the chin reduction surgery or vice versa but I would rather prefer to wait until the braces are off as lips are more prominent with braces on. Also surgery with braces on depends upon the chin reduction surgery that you will be undergoing.  If you are having sliding genioplasty where the bone is actually cut and moved then i would suggest you to discuss it with the orthodontist as it can affect the way your teeth meet but if you are having surgery where your fat or bone is shaved off then there is nothing to worry about. So, my take home decision is that you can wait till the braces treatment is off and also discuss the case with oro-maxillofacial surgeion and an orthodontist.

Free Dental Consultation