2 weeks ago my husband went to see the dentist because he had a bad tooth ache the dentist said his #19 tooth was infected and needed to be pulled. The dentist pulled the tooth then did a bone graft for reasons that were not explained to us over the infected area. My husband is still experiencing severe pain and has a hard time chewing on his left side I'm trying to find out if this procedure was done correctly and if it was safe for them to do a bone graft over the infected area without first treating with antibiotics?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 17 - February - 2012, at 10:35 AM

• Tina, the bone grafting is needed, if the bone thickness is not sufficient for dental implant and it is not always that bone grafting is done.

• Tina Diaz

Tina Diaz 16 - February - 2012, at 11:33 AM

• Is bone grafting only needed if a patient wants an implant? Because my husband is not getting an implant and he was not given an option they told us after the work was done that they did a bone graft and I wasn't sure why he would need it.

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 16 - February - 2012, at 10:30 AM

• If the bone loss is there and the dentist wants to put the implant aferwards then to regenerate the bone in the area where the resorption of bone has taken place, the bone grafting is done. For that the dentist locally clean the area from the infection by cerrettage and then put the bone graft. But the antibiotics and pain killers are prescribed after wards. If after 2 weeks your husband is still havng pain then you should visit the dentist and get the diagnosis made..for more info on bone grafts you can visit the following link.....http://www.identalhub.com/dental-understanding-dental-implant-bone-grafting-682.aspx

Free Dental Consultation