Sudden Sharp shooting pain at the back of my wisdom tooth every time when I chew, swallow or drink... I think it is triggered by a certain movement of my tongue... Because the are times that when I stretch my tongue like for example I want to remove foods trapped between my teeth or when I swallow and my tongue bent in a certain position it triggers... My dentist said it is because foods are getting trapped between my wisdom tooth that is almost out and my gum at the back of it... And also my cheek inside my mouth looks like its swollen... But based on what I see it's not red... And that swollen part covers part of my wisdom tooth every time I closed my mouth... It seems like it is attached to the gum... And that is where bits dirt (I don't know exactly what are those but maybe those are from what I eat) are trapped... She cleansed it well and I did not feel the sudden, throbbing, sharp shooting pain while she was performing the procedure... But there was pain and she pointed it out... And I believe that's really the source... It's like swollen due to infection... She also applied something... And I haven't feel any pain yet since that... But I can't force myself to it yet... Because there seems to be a psychological effect on me... I always think that if I eat normal food the pain might reoccur again... Before that appointment with the dentist I researched on what could be that pain... I typed some symptoms I was experiencing and I encountered a certain illness called "Trigeminal Neuralgia"... There was no cure and some symptoms are matching with mine... Sudden pain but only on a specific part of my gum... Triggered by chewing and swallowing... But mine is not sensitive to hot or cold... In fact... Every time I drink hot choco or cold drinks I kept it on the part where I feel the pain... And that gives me relief... Then continue to drink it... So it's not sensitive to temperature... I can also touch my face and all other parts tracing where trigeminal nerves are but there's no pain... I pinch my face and do all other things but it doesn't trigger the sharp shooting pain... It just happen when I move my tongue in a position that stretches it... And when I chew directly on the left side where the pain is coming from... And another thing... My gum behind my wisdom tooth looks partially swollen but not reddish... It looks more like a little bit pale... But just a little bit... And as long as I can remember my dentist told me something about pale but I cannot exactly remember...

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 16 - March - 2014, at 09:14 AM

• It does not look like that you have Trigeminal Neuralgia as the symptoms of Trigeminal Neuralgia are very different. They have trigger zone and the pain is very shooting and intense but in your case the pain is due to swollen gums i.e. behind the wisdom tooth and your dentist is right in saying that it is due to food impaction in that area. So maintain good oral hygiene and clean that area, do warm saline rinses 2-3 times day but if the problem persists then you can go for extraction of wisdom teeth as wisdom teeth donot help in chewing and they  are not of much use. for more info on wisdom teeth problems you can check the following link in our website....http://www.identalhub.com/articlecategory-wisdom-teeth-47.aspx

Free Dental Consultation