hello, I'm a 20 year-old female. I've had a painful tooth cavity about 4 years ago . I went to the dentist and got it cleaned up ( she told me after killing the roots , it became dead) , had a temporary filling , and I was asked to come back a couple of weeks later to have the permanent filling. Unfortunately , as the pain went away I didn't go back.. The filling fell off eventually and the hole in my tooth (where the cavity used to be) was left exposed ... Over the years , the hole got bigger and now what I have is like half a black tooth , a rotten tooth I guess.It smelled very bad generally .. finally, after years of leaving it like that ,I went to the dentist 4 days ago to finally get it taken care of , probably get it extracted.. but the doctor said he couldn't extract it before making sure it couldn't be saved anymore. Since I couldn't afford x-rays, he suggested he put in a temporary filling and see if that results in pain.. It's been three days now and my upper left jaw is starting to feel funny ( painful when I memic the chewing movement) , my tooth hurts when I pressure it and I feel generally uneasy and have a slight nausea today.. I can't go back to the dentist before monday so should I take out the temporary filling until then to feel better? am I forming an abscess? should I insist on removing the tooth? P.S: I haven't eaten on the left side of my mouth for years if that helps !! Please help me :'(

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 14 - August - 2012, at 09:44 AM

• If you have developed pain after getting the temporary filling done then that means the tooth was already infected and is getting abscessed. It is better now you consult your dentist asap but if you are able to visit any dentist, if possible remove the temprary filling and  do warm saline rinses and avoid eating from that side. Your dentist will see and if the tooth can be saved then he will do the root canal treatment and if he thinks that it cannot be saved then he may advise the extraction of the tooth. For more info on abscessed tooth, you can read this article... http://www.identalhub.com/article_understanding-abscessed-tooth-204.aspx

Free Dental Consultation