I had a tooth surgically extracted last Tuesday. By Friday the pain was increasing drastically. My dentist called in pain medicine which didn't do much at all. When he finally opened on Tuesday he got me in and packed the area due to dry socket. I received immediate relief. The dressing fell out Wednesday afternoon and the pain returned within an hour. He packed it again Thursday morning which also fell out that afternoon so he packed it again late yesterday. He has scheduled me to come back in the office on Tuesday when he reopens to have the packing taken out and we will re-evaluate the situation then. My fear is that the dressing is going to fall out again as it is already starting to work its way out now after less then 24 hours of having it repacked. If it does fall out over the weekend and my dentist does not open again until Tuesday, what should I do over the next few days? How much longer should it take before the dry socket heals?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 03 - December - 2012, at 00:37 AM

•  

The usual healing time for dry socket is around seven to ten days. However, no definitive time period can be established, as this varies from patient to patient. There are many factors that influence this healing period, like the medical condition of the patient, the presence or absence of any systemic disease, oral hygiene of the patient, diet, etc. For complete closure of the socket, the person may need to wait for a month or two. As dry socket is a post-extraction complication, it usually delays tooth extraction recovery, which in turn, leads to a delay in wound closure. However, the pain should slowly decrease and be completely gone within a week.
    For more info on dry socket,visit the link http://www.identalhub.com/dental-dry-socket-treatment-937.aspx

Free Dental Consultation