I had a root canal done and then a post and core put in without a crown. It has been a few years since this was done. Today while not even eating anything, the whole tooth, post, and core fell out! It is the top first molar so it is sort of right in between my teeth. Is this common for the whole thing to just fall out??? I mean the post shouldn't do that, should it?? I thought that was cemented in? What are my options now? I have broken off tooth at the gum line - is an implant my only option (aside from having the remaining part of the tooth under the gun line removed)? Should my dentist be responsible for this failure???

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 05 - February - 2012, at 05:45 AM

• After getting post and core you have to go for regular checkups in which the dentist assesses the condition and if any complication is going to arise then he can do the repairs. sometimes the gum recedes and gap is there  which causes the seepage of fluids. As such also post and core is given on a root canal treated tooth which is quite brittle and on top of it a dental crown is must. so sometimes post can comeout as it is just cemented to the inside of the root canals. It is very normal for post and core to comeout after few years. Now you go to dentist. He will do clinical examination and do radiographs and find out whether post and core can be given or the tooth has to be pulled out with option of going for dental implant or dental bridge. for more info on post and core you can read this article... http://www.identalhub.com/article_procedure-for-post-and-core-281.aspx

Free Dental Consultation