I have a molar tooth that has had a root canal and has a porcelain crown. it became abscessed last Thanksgiving 2011. I have had this crown for about 4 or 5 years. Is this bad dentistry or what could of caused this and can you tell me if it needs to be pulled.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 20 - February - 2012, at 22:38 PM

• The abcess under the crowned tooth develops because of various reasons like developing some gum disease or when the gap develops between the tooth and the crown. If proper hygeine is not maintained and the gum infection is there ,it can cause the abcessed tooth. some time the abcess is formed if the wearing off of the crown takes place and the hole develops which causes the seepage and hence the infection of the tooth. You have to visit the dentist who will do the clinical examination and take the X-ray to find out the cause of the infection. If the tooth can be saved and the prognosis is good then the dentist will remove the crown and do the re root canal treatment of the tooth. For more info on the retreatment of the root canal treated tooth you can visit te following link.......http://www.identalhub.com/article_root-canal-re-treatment-304.aspx

Free Dental Consultation