I had a root canal on Monday, it is Friday and by the end of each day I am experiencing jaw pain as well as tooth pain. The tooth has sharp pain when I bite down. Also if I place my tongue on the tooth there is pain. This pain does not occur in the morning only by the end of each day. It is #30. I don't seem to have any swelling but I am a little worried about infection. Should I just keep track of my temperature? and if that rises I should call my dentist? I think that perhaps there is a small bump in the temporary filling that could be making my bite off a bit. My dentist is out for the weekend, do you think I am in any danger? How long will this tooth take to heal? Is it normal to have pain when biting down hard after a root canal. My dentist told me not to chew on that side for now, to watch for swelling and we would check it in two weeks to see if we could proceed with the crown.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 31 - August - 2012, at 23:01 PM

• After Root Canal Treatment it is normal to have pain in the tooth especially if the tooth is infected before. It may take upto a week to settle down. The pain is because of instrumentation done during the root canal treatment which evokes the foreign body reaction. This is perfectly normal and in the meantime avoid eating from that side and donto irritate the tooth further. Try to maintain good oral hygiene with gentle brushing on that side and wait for another 2-3 days. Keep taking meds regularly as prescribed by your dentist and if even after week you donot become comfortable or the pain starts decreasing, then you have to visit your dentist. For more info on problems after root canal treatment you can read this article ... http://www.identalhub.com/article_complications-and-care-after-root-canal-therapy-106.aspx

Free Dental Consultation