Hi, 4yrs ago I had a sever decay in my first molar tooth and had been to a dentist, where I was advised to remove the tooth. During the procedure the dentist was not able to remove the whole tooth and few pieces of the tooth were left and I was told, as the pieces are too small it cannot be pulled out and I would have to go through an operation. Which I have been avoiding as I had no pain or issue with the remains. However, from past 1 week I have had some needling pain whn i try sucking the tooth. Which is reduced and almost nil now. But I see a swelling in the gum of that teeth. And the swelling is not close to the teeth, it is much below near my jaw line and it pains only when I press it. Could you please tell me how serious the problem is and what could be the treatment?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 07 - April - 2013, at 09:28 AM

• If the infection is in the area from where tooth was extracted and the pieces were left then you have to get the remaining pieces of the tooth removed as it looks like they are infected. The swelling can increase and situation can worsen if you donot get it removed. The infection can cause the bone loss in the area because of which the replacement of tooth will become a problem in future. For more info on complications after tooth extraction you can read this article in our website.. http://www.identalhub.com/dental-complications-after-tooth-extraction-881.aspx

Free Dental Consultation