Hi, I have a question about cavities and root canals. I had a cavity filled over 5 years ago. This past March, I went in for a dental examination at a new dentist, and she told me my cavity needed to be refilled. When she took out the filling, she said there was still decay inside and she needed to get it out. She kept drilling and drilling, saying the decay went farther back. Then, another patient arrived for his appointment, so she filled it and said that I needed to come back for a follow up. When I asked if she got all the decay, she did not answer but said that if I experienced pain that does not go away after a couple weeks, I need a root canal. At first, my tooth was a little sore. A week after the appointment, it started to really hurt when I would chew food with it, so I just stopped chewing on that side of my mouth. I went back in to ask her about it, and the dentist said I just need to get a root canal. When I asked why my tooth never bothered me before she drilled into it, she said that sometimes when you refill a cavity, it activates the decay and starts to hurt. That sounds odd to me... I haven't gotten a root canal yet. It's been about a month since my last visit, and the pain has died down to where I can almost barely feel it. Do I really need a root canal? Thanks for your help! Ann Sullivan

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 23 - April - 2013, at 19:58 PM

• When the old filling is removed and the secondary caries or decay underneath is removed then sometimes after refilling the pain is there. Sometimes the pain subsides itself after a 7-10 days and in this case you donot need any root canal treatment as this is just the reaction of pulp to the treatment but however if the pain does not subside and it increases in intensity then you have to go for root canal treatment. In your case the pain has subsided so get the tooth checked whether it needs root canal treatment or not. For more info on root canal treatment you can check this link.... http://www.identalhub.com/article_why-is-root-canal-treatment-rct-required-299.aspx

Free Dental Consultation