I chipped a tooth a few days ago, the next day my face started swelling. originally i went to a urgent care where they made a small cut on my gum/lip line and pushed out nearly an oz of puss. i left with pain killers and antibiotics but the next day it was only worse. I went to the ER sunday/monday at midnight stayed overnight,( on an IV and a liquid antibiotic that made the swelling go down alot), where they decided that i had a cavity on my chipped tooth inside of my gum causing an absess(spelling?) and an infection.. I had the dentists at the hospital remove my tooth and left with more antibiotics and pain killers. I went to bed and woke up the next day to a swollen face once again.. IS this just something i have to wait out and hope the antibiotics are doing their job? or should more be done?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 26 - November - 2013, at 20:02 PM

• As you already got the tooth removed, so the cause of infection is removed and now you can wait for antibiotics to have the effect. The antiobiotics and pain killers help in decreasing the infection. If after 3-4 days of taking the antiobiotics, this infection and swelling do not recede then go to dentist and get the xray  done to find out the exact cause. Till then maintain good oral hygiene, follow all instructions given by dentist and do warm saline rinses 2-3 times a day and take your meds. For more info on swelling after tooth extraction you can check this article in our website.... http://www.identalhub.com/dental-swelling-after-tooth-extraction-878.aspx

Free Dental Consultation